We would do well today to reflect on the foundational principles for evangelism as given by Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, in his book The Presentation of the Gospel.
- The supreme object of the work of evangelism is to glorify God, not to save souls.
- The only power that can do this work is the Holy Spirit, not our own strength.
- The one and only medium through which the Spirit works is the Scriptures; therefore, we “reason out of the Scriptures” as Paul did.
- The preceding principles give us the true motivation for evangelism – a zeal for God and love for others.
- There is a constant danger heresy through a false zeal and employment of unscriptural methods.